Monday, March 15, 2010

Failure to takeoff

Ahhh, the glorious Chiang Mai. I didn't really like the city at first, on account of all the tourists, but it has grown on me. If you go a little outside of the old town there are some real neat cafes and bars. There is also a cool little bike shop and bicycle scene with a few regular fixie cruises and lots of street/BMX riding. I could see myself living here for a little while, getting to know the city better, doing some mountainbiking in the surrounding hills. Alas, I have more road to cover, countries to see and people to ride bikes with.
So its onwards to Laos. We were supposed to depart about 3 days ago, but our buddy Paul (whom we met in Ayuttahaya) convinced us to stay a bit longer. So tomorrow its up early and heading for Chiang Rai before moving on towards Laos and finding out about the boat situation.
With that being said, I'd like to take a moment to express some feelings. Lately I am beginning to feel a bit exhausted. I love life on the bike but at some point you just get tired of constantly moving, constantly being out of place. Change becomes the norm and you really desire to turn it all off for a second. Oh well, Im sure before long I will be sitting on a couch in the US complaining about how boring life is when nothing changes day to day. Just wanted to rant a little bit and let you all know that yes, i'm not a total lunatic and would like to sit still every once in awhile. Anyways, maybe Im just feeling this way because Im tired and a bit cranky about having to move on from this city when all Id like to do is rent an apartment for a month and do absolutely nothing. So I'm going to go to bed and then tomorrow get up early and ride my bicycle far away. Cheers to that!

3 comments:

  1. Well now..I am back in in business thanks to Compuguru in Apex. He repaired my softwear and reset the password on the router. Sorry, I was not able to write you for awhile. I am very impressed you find time to take cooking classes. We are definitely going to do some entertaining when you get state side. About the rash..it is a Sprain thing...Colleen, Patricia and I all break into rashes for no good reason. Do you remember the time I went to the emergency room in the Thousand Islands in the middle of the night? We were camping. Ah, so they have green beer in Laos? St.Patty's Day is Wednesday. Last year we came to Chapel Hill with Rick Williams. Good wishes to Rick who was in the hospital recently. He reads your blog. We had a nice visit from Matt weekend before last and Troy was home on Spring Break. You know there be waffles. XXX , Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dearest Rob,

    Although you are more traveled than myself, I would like to validate your exhaustion by telling you that exploring is like sex. It's a lot of fun, feels great, and gives your spirit a bit of a voice. But eventually you must go get some oranges from the dimly lit kitchen and mumble endearing things in the afterglow, and then, when the time is right, foreplay (planning to travel) will begin and you'll be more than ready for the next round.

    I hope your mom doesn't read this.

    -Kyle

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, well said Kyle. And you know Mary Anne read that.

    Robby, you're my hero buddy. Keep makin memories that count. Keep Dreamin Big so that those you touch feel permission to grab hold of their own ridiculous, illogical, fantastic dreams and start peddlin!

    Keep the faith.

    -John Wilkins

    ReplyDelete