Wednesday, June 2, 2010

On the move again

So it has been quite awhile since I've updated this here blog, and for that I apologize. I would say this is the result of a complex mixture of elements, namely laziness and spotty internet access. In any case I'll do my best to relate the last month or so to you folks without much ado.
I would say the larger part of my time here in the US so far was spent just generally bumming around the Bay area. I spent time crashing on various friends' couches and floors in Berkeley and San Francisco. A big thanks to all the folks who made that possible. I managed to find some cash flow (multiple streams of income as Benji would say) by doing a promotional gig for Comcast and a language study, both at Berkeley. The Comcast promotion was just handing out moving boxes to students in exchange for them texting in a survey. The language study was pretty interesting. I had to learn an imaginary language called Sillyspeak and then was tested on it. Good thing I was already an advanced Sillyspeaker, as anyone whose met me after 11pm would probably attest to.
The final coup de grace of my stay in the area was the sheer insanity of the Bay-to-Breakers "race" in San Francisco. Hung out with my gracious hosts of Hayes Street and watched the hilarious antics of all the wierdos, drunks and drunk wierdos. In case you aren't familiar (I wasn't) B2B is a race in its 99th year where folks run from the bay side of the city down through Golden Gate park to the ocean. Somewhere in the last 100 years its morphed into a BurningMan/Lovefest-esque self-expression celebration. If you want to walk around San Francisco buck-naked, this is the day for it. Cross your fingers though...there is talk about canceling the event because it has become such a ruckus. ING, the sponsor, pulled out after this year!
Anyways, I departed the Bay area and pointed the bicycle north. I spent the first 6 days riding up Highway 1 along the coast. The scenery was a bit austere but beautiful nonetheless. Quite a rough re-introduction to bike touring however! Continuous climbs and downhills along the coast coupled up with some pretty strong headwinds and a month of (mostly) sedantary living to make for a rough couple days. The final deathblow to my willpower came in the form of 2 days of rain-riding in the Redwoods followed by a forecast for 4 more days. However, right when things looked their bleakest, serendipity found me a ride through the rain. I was remarking (okay, okay....complaining) on the weather to the kind lady at a coffeeshop in Redway, CA and she pointed out that her son was driving to Ashland, Oregon the next day. My new friend Evyn and I cruised right on up through the weather, saving me at least 3 or 4 days of rainy, cold riding. From Ashland I had a mostly pleasant cruise on backroads northwards. One great night was spent in the Threehorn campsite of the Umpqua National Forest. Kind neighbors there treated me to chilidogs...a welcome warm meal after a long day of climbing. As I neared my destination in Eugene on the third day out the clouds moved in once again. Visited my favorite bar in Eugene (called Max's...supposedly "Moe's" in the Simpsons is modeled after it) and then shuffled off into the drizzle to setup camp for the night. The next day I awoke with a less than optimistic outlook for the remaining 45 miles to Corvallis. Packed up all my wet gear and climbed onto the bike, squinting as I rode through more of the interminable Pacific NW scuzz. Things started to look up as I had the "Champion's Breakfast" (2 corndogs and 20oz of coffee at 7-11). The skies dried up but never quite cleared. Nevertheless, the ride was calm, almost no traffic and a relative straight-shot to Corvallis.
I arrived in Corvallis and struggled to find my hosts' place due to some "transcription errors" in getting their address. I found the street easily enough but the house number I had didn't exist! After wandering around town and campus for 2 hours without any luck in contacting them, I decided to tour the street once more. I knew they had moved recently so I hoped to spot an out of state plate. Sure enough my Dick Tracy skillz paid the billz and I found the house. I apprehensively rang the door bell (looking the way I do I was really worried I would give some old lady a heart attack). Andi (Bentley's Lady Friend) answered the door and after about 10 seconds of dumbfoundedness on my part, recognition clicked and I said "Uh....hey" or something equally impressive.
I took a shower for the first time in 5 days, ate 2 giant homemade pretzels and then we were off to a wine tasting Bentley was working at! What a welcome (take notes, folks in my path!). By this time the sun had broken through the clouds and mingled with a little jazz, some Pinot Gris and Pinot Noir, and a gorgeous view of the vineyard and valley. In other words, the perfect way to top off a pretty solid day. Then to really put things over the top, we had dinner at a nearby brewpub. I hadn't had a huge appetite at first but as plates of hearty pubfood were put down I couldn't help myself.
So now its raining again. And the forecast is calling for more through the whole week. I'm trying to decide whether to face the facts and get wet or to hope that the elusive summer shows up soon. I've got some rough plans for whats next on the tour and when but I'll save that post for a few days. Until then, happy reading and riding!

3 comments: