Saturday, January 9, 2010

The Malaysian Rollercoaster

Rolled out of Singapore by about 9am on Friday (I suck at early morning starts). It was kind of overcast so I had no idea that I was getting burned to a crisp as I headed towards Kota Tinggi. Finally arrived at the "waterfall" on my map to find that it had been surrounded by a tourist waterpark. It was still pretty cool...for 20 Malaysian ringgit I got a campsite and use of the facilities. The waterfall itself was still relatively untouched and emptied out into a nice big sandy pool. Cooled my furiously hot shoulders for awhile before riding back to the next small village for some mee goreng (big noodles with mystery meat and sauce). Get a huge plate and a soda for less than 2 dollars US!! I like Malaysia already, hahaha.
Today I woke up in the jungle campsite, packed up and rolled on down the road. Pretty stifling hot ride about 100km to Mersing where I found out I was too late to catch the ferry for the day. Rollercoaster hills the whole way. I really didn't know if I would survive it, I think I drank about 4 or 5 liters of water and maybe 5 sodas. Get another chance for the ferry tomorrow at 1:30. It will take me to an island called Palau Tioman for 35 ringgit (about 10 bucks). Once there I can stay indefinately, but I'm planning on maybe 3 days or so. Might splash out and get some lodging, might try to rough it if I can find a remote beach. There should be some good snorkeling and scuba diving to be had, as well as unloading the bike and doing some extreme island biking.
I've got a whole month to cover the 1500 km between me and Phuket where I plan to meet Daniel. The only trick is sticking to my budget (which shouldn't be too hard).
When I get back onto the mainland I'll let you know how its going and should have some purty pics for you. Wonder how I can get some underwater ones...

2 comments:

  1. Props to you for making it there man, i can only say i am ooozing with envy. sounds like youve got it made for the time being and im really glad you found someone else to hook up with eventually. right now im in bergamo in italy about to stay with this cyclist guy who does a triathalon on the alpe d huez, pretty crazy. keep up the jungle thrashing trek fietsing awesomeness and eat some dank pad thai for me. oh yeah and check out warmshowers.org, we so missed out on that one. peace

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yo Johnny John John,
    Oozing huh? maybe you should see a doctor. I thought you'd be in Spain now...or hiding in Morocco. What's the deal? What is your plan? I knew about warmshowers back when we were riding, but I feel like we had our hands full just trying to use couchsurfing...don't know if we could have kept track of more attempts! Hope you're doing well...catch ya on the flipside!

    ReplyDelete