Sunday, January 31, 2010

Food poisoning or Dengue?

Well, I was warned about the Southeast of Thailand being somewhat "unstable" and therefore unsafe to ride my bicycle through. Spent three days in the area and didn't feel uncomfortable at all. There a many many military all carrying automatic rifles (there is something comical about two guys in military camo, bulletproof vests with automatic rifles...on a scooter). But as they say, everything always seems calm until a bomb goes off. Anyways I have arrived in the "safe" province of Satun but not without incident.
Last night I found a wonderful campsite by a waterfall in the jungle. Got to take a dip in a surprisingly cool jungle stream and wash some clothes. Watching the full moon rise over the jungle was a nice way to spend the evening. The jungle was much quieter than I expected and would have made for a good night's rest except for one thing. I settled into the hammock for some reading about 9 and before long started to feel nauseous. The famaliar feelings of food poisoning had settled in by 10. I was feverish, sore all over, stomach churning. I don't know what happened because I didn't recall eating or drinking anything sketchy. Who knows...maybe my water filter missed something or I had some bad ice or I accidentally ingested some bug repellent...the list goes on and on in my head. I struggled to get in about 40km today and found a good guesthouse. Spent the rest of the afternoon laying in bed trying to keep my stomach in control until about 6 when I felt like it was cool enough that I could tolerate walking to get some food. Things seems to be improving but I still feel pretty wrecked. I just hope the symptoms clear up soon (they are almost the same symptoms as Dengue...but I'm pretty sure I'd know if that was hitting me).
Tomorrow I'm going to see if I can orchestrate boat rides to some islands rather than riding up the coast. It will cost me a bit more but I can see Ko Bulon Lae, Ko Lanta, Krabi and Ko Phi Phi before meeting Dan over in Phuket next week. I hate breaking my budget but I really don't want to miss out on these amazing islands because I was unwilling to be a bit flexible. Just means more peanut butter and ramen in the future...
New pics are up in the Thailand gallery. Will try to give you folks another update relatively soon but not sure about the internet situation on these islands. Until then, enjoy the snow (if you're joining me from NC)...I'll be thinking of it as I roast on the white sand!

4 comments:

  1. Rob, sorry to hear about the food poisoning, , hope you're feeling better soon, check your e-mail for crazy dad mail.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rob, sorry to hear about the illness. Make sure you find a good water source and stay hydrated! I don't blame you for straying from the budget once in a while. This is a once in a lifetime ride and we are all pulling for you buddy. Keep on biking and sending us updates. If you are back here next summer, you should spend some time with the old goats at Ravenknob.... you are one of us now ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope you are feeling better very soon. I've been stuck at home since the snow came and now I just want to move to the tropics! That's the only thing on my "bucket list." ;D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't open your mouth in the creeks, lakes, ocean etc.

    ReplyDelete