Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Slight delays to departure

Well...I thought I would leave on Monday. Then Sunday evening Khaos (my savior saint of music-providing) introduced me to his friend Louis. Louis was off work on Monday so offered to show me around some of the nearby temples. We were joined by his girlfriend and sister. What a great time we had! Saw 3 different kinds of Buddha (sleeping, sitting, standing) and the Dragon Boat Temple. All very impressive. Along with that we also sampled some different local dishes. On top of all this they invited me out and treated me to an amazing dinner. I think I've been ruined for Asian food forever...nothing stateside can hold a flame to this. Especially enjoyed the fried bees.
Woke up this morning to torrential downpour but felt compelled to make my exit nonetheless. Packed up all my belongings and hit the road in a (relative) lull in the rain. By the time I got a couple hundred meters down the road the onslaught continued and I ducked into my preferred internet hideout, a neat combination of salon and internet cafe run by Betty and Cham. I've been posted up here for the last 2 hours looking for a gap in the rain but it just won't stop. It seems to finally have paused so I must make my decision now. I can ride on and almost certainly catch a dousing or I can wait one more day and see if the odds look any better tomorrow. Rain is in the forecast again but only 40% instead of the guaranteed thunderstorm of today. Its about 30km to the Thai border and another 40 or so beyond that to the town I hoped to be near tonight. That is probably 3 or 4 hours of riding.
Geesh, life is hard when faced with such grandiose decisions...

2 comments:

  1. Hey there buddy! Decisions, decisions..... what tough choices ;-) Sounds like things are still going well. I read every one of your blogs and mention them to the boys. We are doing well here. Thanks for your nice message about Mom. I am hanging in there. Can't wait to have you come and speak to the troop again! Ben Freeman

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey rob..while you are in rain..we might see snow...doesn't happen often..huh?

    Food sounds great..we know how you love exotic dishes.

    ReplyDelete