Saturday, January 23, 2010

Whilin' away the days

So I finally (after consulting other travelers, locals and the police) decided to avoid riding through the mountains and jungles (fear not, I will get plenty of that in northern Thailand and Laos) and instead head directly into Thailand at this border. The major problem with this plan is that reaching Phuket, where Dan and I are tentatively meeting, will probably only take me about 10 days. He doesn't arrive for about 14 days. That leaves me with a little too much time on my hands.
In order to dispose of some of these spare days I will be searching out a nice camping spot on the beach. The only spots I've found near Kota Bharu are in a coconut grove behind a soccer pitch and some kind of weird miniature town place which has been abandoned north of town. Its like Mr. Rogers neighborhood or something, with little mini roads and gas station and buildings. But there are some trees in there, so I could camp there. In any case I much prefer to find something actually on the beach with the breeze and all. I know...its a rough life, having to tough it out on a tropical beach for 4 days, but somebody has got to do it folks. And thus your humble hobo steps forward!
Let's see....other than that, not much to report. Just eating, reading, sleeping. Going to do some laundry and tweak the bike a bit today. Found some copies of my favorite bike magazine in a local store so Im considering splurging and buying those. Maybe go back to the bookstore and get the fattest novel I can find. Saw something from the "Eragon" series which was really thick. Don't know how much I want to read fantasy about dwarves and elves at this point but at least it would occupy me. I plan to leave here tomorrow morning but who knows. If things change I'll drop in and post another note. Otherwise I would expect the next time you hear from me to be in Thailand!

1 comment: